If you were unable to join us for our synchronous class, please watch the video and answer all questions in the YouTube comment box or via email.
AGENDA FOR OUR SYNCHRONOUS MEETING on March 23
- My experiences in Italy and Israel
- Feedback on LEAP 2 and getting ready to submit LEAP 3
- Piktochart demo for LEAP 3
- Museum of Public Relations: Timeline of Propaganda
- Review COM416’s critical analysis of THE WALL
- Propaganda in 20th century US: Renee’s approach to critical reading the FOUR FREEDOMS with Kami Chrome
- VIEW AND DISCUSS “Four Freedoms” speech and Norman Rockwell’s art
- Preview required activities for next week AND end of semester
PLEASE COMPLETE THESE ACTIVITIES BEFORE March 30 at 7 p.m.
- LISTEN: Democratic Activist Says Donald Trump Fits Demagogic Mold. NPR.
- READ AND POST: Read Chapter 6, We Are All Americans Now? from David Welch, Propaganda: Power and Persuasion (pp. 189 – 200). After reading, select a powerful quote from the chapter along with an image of your choice and upload it to our Padlet Wall. Be sure to put your name on your contribution.
- READ AND COMMENT. Select at least two of the articles below and use Kami Chrome to highlight, comment and annotate. Demonstrate your critical reading skills through digital annotation. Be sure that at least three of your annotations include a summary, a comment and a question. Then compose four tweets to capture some of the key ideas you learned from reading, using the hashtag #COM416.
- Taub, Amanda (2017, January 11). The Real Story about Fake News is Partisanship. New York Times.
- Garber, Megan (2015, December 10). What We Talk About When We Talk about Demagogues. The Atlantic.
- Lehmann, Nicholas (2016, November 30). Solving the Problem of Fake News. The New Yorker.
- Heller, Nathan (2016, November 18). The Failure of Facebook Democracy. The New Yorker.
- Wallace-Wells, Benjamin (2016, May 5). Is the Alt-Right for Real? The New Yorker.
- Minnute, Lorraine. (2012). New Challenges in the Study of Right-Wing Propaganda: Priming the Populist Backlash to “Hope and Change.” New Political Science 34(4), 506 – 526.
- Stack, Liam (2017, October 13). He Calls Hillary Clinton a Demon: Who is Alex Jones? New York Times.
DUE: LEAP 3 March 30
…Two more quizzes…
DUE: LEAP 4 May 4