If you did not participate in the live class, watch the YouTube video and answer the questions asked in class in the YouTube comment thread.
AGENDA FOR OUR SYNCHRONOUS CLASS, Thursday, April 13, 2017
Guest Instructor: Zoey Wang
Historical Context. Overview of the roots of Chinese Propaganda
Questions on the Readings
- How does China’s interpretation of Soft Power different from Western approaches to power & political communication?
- What have you learned about Chinese censorship that is different from what you’ve known before?
How did the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) incorporate Soft Power as nation building through propaganda?
- What have you learned about the Chinese national broadcaster CCTV and the Spring Festival Galas?
- How does the Spring Festival Galas embed propaganda into entertainment? How is it similar to and different from how American television shows and movies do it?
- What role does China’s social media play in terms of surveillance, control, and propaganda?
View and discuss: How China Is Changing Your Internet
Create and play: A Simulation Game. In “Campaigning for CCTV,” in this session we will break into groups to brainstorm a media production plan that uses young American students who are positive about Chinese values and Chinese culture. The target audience is young adults in China (especially among those who are ‘pro’ American culture) who might think China is not as “cool” as the best Western nations. Zoey Wang role-plays the Executive Director of CCTV. Her charge to you:
Brainstorm and plan a meme campaign. What pro-China messages will attract and hold attention? In your 10-minute planning session, discuss key ideas and use a meme generator like IMGLFIP. Each group will have 1 minute to pitch/present their plans and comment on each other’s plan see which one will win the campaign budget for this project.
PLEASE COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES BEFORE NEXT Thursday, April 19
- Chen, Adrian (2016, December 1). The Propaganda about Russian Propaganda.The New Yorker.
- Delman, Edward (2015, April 22). When is a TV Channel a Foreign Agent? The Atlantic.
- Pomerantsev, Peter (2014, September 9). Russia and the Menace of Unreality. The Atlantic.
Re-Take Quiz 3: Open April 16 – 18
Quiz 4: Opens April 20 and closes April 24 (link TBA)
DUE: LEAP 4 May 4