Wednesday, April 11
There is no live synchronous class today. Renee is in Washington DC testifying before the U.S. Copyright Office on DMCA 1201, the law that makes it illegal to “rip” DVDs. In previous years, Renee has had success in receiving an exemption to this law for elementary and secondary teachers and students as well as for college students.
Watch her video to learn more about how to prepare for next week and get started on your final project, LEAP 4: Create Propaganda
- Review tweets and readings to consider these questions:
- What factors have contributed to the appeal of ISIS propaganda online?
- How do people access ISIS propaganda?
- How did ISIS recruit people from around the world?
- Why are some Americans sympathetic to ISIS? What is the line between having sympathy for a terrorist group and actually supporting them?
- What techniques does Jack Kirkham use in analyzing ISIS propaganda?
- What is a doomsday cult? What is the difference between propaganda and “brainwashing’?
- Why would head camera video footage be so useful to ISIS?
- Introduce LEAP #4 – Create Propaganda – DUE May 7
- Next week, we explore Fake News, Demagoguery and the Alt Right. Please complete activities on the Pathwright for WEEK 12 before Wednesday, April 18.