Critical Analysis of Propaganda (150 points)
DUE: October 17
Overview. In this assignment, you critically analyze a piece of contemporary propaganda from the Mind Over Media website by making a vlog or screencast.
Content. Select an example of propaganda from the Mind Over Media website (or upload a piece of propaganda to the website). Develop an informative critical analysis of the example you have selected and create a vlog or screencast video, 3 – 5 minutes in length, where you critically analyze a single piece of propaganda by answering some of the questions below:
- Who is the author and what is the purpose?
- What techniques are used to attract and hold attention?
- What lifestyles, values and points of view are presented?
- How might different people interpret this message differently?
- What is omitted?
Gather Evidence to Support Your Ideas. In answering these questions, you MUST use at least three key ideas from the course readings. Also, you must gather relevant research sources that help you develop your ideas and speak with credibility. Along with your screencast, submit a Works Cited list with a complete list of all sources used, which should be presented in APA format.
Gain Background Knowledge Before Preparing Script and Visual Materials. Learn more about the genre of the vlog and screencast and get ideas about how to create compelling academic content by reading Renee’s Chapter 4 on critically analyzing media and Chapter 11 on Vlogs and Screencasts from her new book, Create to Learn: Introduction to Digital Literacy (New York: Wiley 2017). Think about the needs and interests of the target audience for LEAP 2, which includes college-educated adults with an interest in contemporary propaganda.
Recording Your Screencast. Before you begin, watch this tutorial on how to make a vlog or screencast with the free online tool, Screencast-o-Matic. When you have uploaded your screencast to YouTube, embed the video on your blog, along with your Works Cited list. NOTE: You may use any screencast video production tool to complete this assignment.
Criteria for Evaluation
1. My screencast offers a critical analysis of an example of contemporary propaganda from the Mind Over Media website, addressing critical questions and incorporating appropriate and well-chosen concepts and ideas from both the course readings and independent research.
2. The content of the screencast is well-organized and creative, with an opening hook, an effective conclusion, and strong use of language and images that convey information and give an “aha!” insight to the target audience of college-educated adults with an interest in the topic.
3. The screencast is well-produced with good sound and image quality. A complete works cited list is provided that includes the sources of ideas, information and visual content used. The screencast is embedded on the page on your blog along with the works cited list. You have tweeted a link to it, using the #COM416 hashtag.
SOME EXAMPLES TO INSPIRE YOU: